By Susan Ottaway
When aged recluse Eileen Nearne died, few suspected that the quiet little previous girl used to be a adorned WWII conflict hero. Volunteering to serve for British intelligence at age 21, Eileen used to be published to Nazi-occupied France to ship encoded messages of the most important value for the Allies, until eventually her seize by way of the Gestapo.
Eileen used to be no longer the single agent in her family---her sister Jacqueline was once a courier for the French resistance. whereas Jacqueline narrowly refrained from arrest, Eileen used to be tortured by way of the Nazis, then despatched to the notorious Ravensbrück women's focus camp. Astonishingly, this inventive younger lady ultimately escaped her captors and located her strategy to the advancing American army.
In this notable precise tale of triumph and tragedy, Susan Ottaway unveils the key lives of 2 sisters who sacrificed themselves to guard their country.
Read or Download A Cool and Lonely Courage: The Untold Story of Sister Spies in Occupied France PDF
Best france books
The 1st significant biography of the writer of Suite FrançaiseThe posthumous book of Suite Française gained Irène Némirovsky foreign acclaim and taken hundreds of thousands of readers to her paintings. however the tale of her personal existence was once no much less dramatic and relocating than her strongest fiction. along with her kin, she escaped Russia in 1919 and settled in Paris, the place she met and married fellow Jewish émigré Michel Epstein.
Within the Rights of guy, Thomas Paine defends the representational kind of executive. He posits that every one males are born with God-given rights that can't be taken from them by way of any govt. Paine's place on inalienable rights performed an immense function within the invoice of Rights being integrated within the structure.
- l'Église, en tant que strength d'encadrement et de structuration de l. a. société, a gagné en visibilité terrestre à travers l. a. structure de " lieux " considérés comme spécifiques- une histoire qui finit par faire de los angeles " cathédrale " le monument emblématique d'une société largement utopique au sein de laquelle chaque homme, comme une petite pierre, a sa position et sa fonction dans l. a. grande structure du monde
Le carnet de voyage sur les Calanques a un layout très pratique et une nouvelle maquette faisant l. a. half belle aux images. Destiné à tous les voyageurs qui partent en courts séjours et recherchent un advisor complet au meilleur prix sur les Calanques. Il suggest surtout des informations culturelles et de découverte : l'essentiel et plus !
- Memoirs of the Courts of Louis XV and XVI. Being secret memoirs of Madame Du Hausset, lady's maid to Madame de Pompadour, and of the Princess Lamballe - Volume 2
- The Lost King of France: How DNA Solved the Mystery of the Murdered Son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette
- Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution
- Something to Declare: Essays on France and French Culture (Vintage International)
- A Paris Life, A Baltimore Treasure
- Lonely Courage: The true story of the SOE heroines who fought to free Nazi-occupied France
Additional resources for A Cool and Lonely Courage: The Untold Story of Sister Spies in Occupied France
A Cool and Lonely Courage: The Untold Story of Sister Spies in Occupied France by Susan Ottaway